The roof is a vital part of any building. It protects your property from environmental hazards that could damage both interior and exterior components such as rain, tree branches, ice, hail and snow. Working with a highly trained roof plumber is essential especially when you start to notice issues with your gutters. Our professional plumbers here at The Local Plumber Melbourne possess the know-how to handle the installation, maintenance and repair of gutters, asphalt shingles, slate roofs and any other plumbing fixture related to your roof!
What is Roof Plumbing?
Roof plumbing refers to the altering, installation, maintenance, renovation and repairing of guttering, downpipes, roof flashing and roof coverings on residential and commercial buildings. It can also include working with skylights, ventilators and other similar fittings.
Are Roof Plumbers and Plumbers The Same?
No. The role and responsibilities of roof plumbers slightly differ from that of a general plumber. The former has undergone extensive training and gained real-world experience in several roof plumbing works, including blocked drain repair, leaking roof repair, roof gutter replacement and wet rot. On the other hand, an emergency plumber is a professional who works with most plumbing appliances and systems such as hot water repair issues and other breakdowns,
Common Plumbing Issues on Roofs
Issues affecting the roof vary in complexity and how threatening they are to your property. While leaking is the most common, it is not the only one that could impact its integrity. Leaving it unrepaired can spell serious and damaging effects. When any of these problems start presenting themselves, it is always recommended to have a professional diagnose the case and handle the repair as depending on your insurance, it is likely that you may be covered. Our plumbers recommend calling a roof plumber in these situations:
- Blistering – It is an issue where the roof surface suffers from erosion. It usually presents with bubbling caused by improper installation or badly maintained roofing. While it does not present a present immediate danger, it could still contribute to a bigger problem in the future. Our emergency plumbing service professionals recommend quickly addressing this issue to prevent damaging consequences.
- Blocked gutter drains – Dried leaves and other debris piling up the roof gutter spells great damage not only to the roof gutter network but also to the whole roofing system.
- Ice dams – Ice dams are common in places experiencing harsh winters. It comes from the warm air leaving the attic and causing a freeze-and-thaw cycle at the edge of the roof. This ice buildup finds its way into the building after it hits the warm air and melts before seeping into the shingles. Investing in a roof de-icing cable helps but experts recommend blocking air leaks in the attic as a permanent preventive measure.
- Improper installation – Roof installation must always be entrusted to the hands of a professional. Leaning towards a cheaper alternative may produce savings in the meantime, but it could translate to costly repairs in future. While saving in roof installation does not always translate to horror installations, many have experienced improperly installed roofs due to cutting their expenses.
- Leaking – A leaking roof is among the most experienced issue in any building. Most buildings in Australia suffer from this problem due to the intense rainfall experienced across the country. Detecting the exact location and cause of leaking is the challenge faced when attending to this issue. Mere leaking or dripping from the roof does not automatically point to where the leak is originating.
- Moss – When the building lies in a shaded portion, it could result in the growth of patches of moss. It commonly grows under shingles, which could break their seals and cause leaking. It could also contribute to decay in all roofing materials, especially cedar and asphalt shingles. Installing strips of zinc or copper between shingles is recommended for those getting a new roof. But for those with old roofs, cleaning it with a hose and a long-handled scrub is the best solution.
- Ponding – This roof issue happens when water starts “pooling up” in a specific part of the roof. The weight of this “pooled up” water results in extra load for the structure supporting the roof and could lead to sagging among other consequences. This problem usually happens due to improper installation of air-conditioning units.
- Vent boots with cracks or tears – The rubber boot surrounding plumbing vents could crack or tear due to time and other external factors. The good news is that it could be easily replaced when the aluminium flashing is not leaking.
Requirements to be a Roof Plumber?
Individuals aspiring to specialise in roof plumbing must meet certain requirements before they can be registered in this class. Aside from fulfilling the requirements set by Victorian and national laws, 24hr emergency plumbers must also complete the Certificate III in Roof Plumbing course. They must also complete an apprenticeship and possess a White Card if he plans to work in the construction industry. Here at The Local Plumber we do have qualified roof plumbers who would be more than happy to help you with any issue
Melbourne’s Leading Roof Plumbing Repairs!
Our team has been in the business for over ten years. Through those years, we have proven to Melbourne property owners our ability to provide the highest standard of plumbing work. Each 24 hour plumbing repair expert in our team holds a licence from the Victorian Building Authority after meeting the requirements set by the Plumbing Regulations Act 2018. This licence guarantees they have the necessary experience and knowledge to handle all installations, maintenance and repairs of plumbing appliances and systems in homes and commercial spaces.
Our team has been offering a wide range of plumbing services, including burst pipe repair, pipe leak detection and blocked drain repair. With our highly skilled emergency plumbing service team and an on-time, same-day service guarantee, we are confident we can meet our customers’ needs anytime and anywhere in Melbourne. Contact The Local Plumber now to have the most preferred emergency plumber throughout Melbourne on your doorstep today!