Using homemade drain cleaners can be an effective and cheap way to deal with a Blocked Drain. There are many methods to combat blockages in drains and using natural at-home methods is one of them. Drain cleaners that are homemade are also a good choice for cleaning out pipes. Here at The Local Plumber, our Melbourne plumbers are here to resolve any blockage in homes and businesses working any time of the day.
DIY homemade drain cleaners can work to combat light to medium blockages and also clean out pipes. Some of the best homemade drain cleaners are baking soda with vinegar, dish soap with hot water, borax and salt with vinegar, baking soda with tartar and baking soda with salt. Trying out the different methods should be done but if they do not clear the clog then a qualified plumber should be contacted.
Can a Homemade Drain Cleaner Clean my Pipes and Clear a Blockage?
Homemade drain cleaners are used to clean out pipes of dirt, grime and a buildup of other debris and also to help unclog pipes. These natural cleaners are a great substitute for chemical cleaners as the chemicals used to clean out pipes often have harmful effects. The chemicals can ruin the pipes over time and are also not good for the environment. Natural drain cleaners used with household materials can clear out the drains safely while not damaging the pipes or the environment.
Homemade drain cleaners can clean the insides of the pipes effectively but can also be used to unblock a drain. There are many methods to clearing a pipe of a blockage and the at-home drain cleaners are one of them. Using them first is encouraged because they are quick and easy and a good way to see how much the drain is blocked. They can break down common blockages and are a good reliable way to deal with clogs quickly.
What are the Different Homemade Drain Cleaners?
There are many different homemade drain cleaners to try out with some being more effective than others. Attempting different ones to see which you like the best at cleaning your pipes or handling blockages is recommended. Here are some of the at-home drain cleaners to try out:
Baking Soda and Vinegar
Mixing baking soda and vinegar is one of the best natural drain cleaners to use to clean drains and deal with blockages:
- Pour a cup of boiling water into the drain to soften and weaken the build up and dirt inside of the pipes
- Add half a cup of baking soda into the drain followed by half a cup of vinegar
- Cover the drain opening, such as with a drain cover, and allow the mixture to work for 10 to 15 minutes
- After the time has passed pour more boiling water into the drain to flush it out and finish cleaning it
Dish Soap and Hot Water
Using dish soap and hot water is a convenient and effective way to clean a drain:
- Mix up 3 to 5 tablespoons of liquid dishwashing soap with 2L of boiling hot water
- Pour the mixture gently into the drain making sure not to splash to prevent you from being burnt
- Perform the process of mixing boiling water and dish soap a few times for the best result
Borax, Salt, and Vinegar
Another method to try out to clean the pipes is to use borax, salt and vinegar together:
- Mix up a solution of borax, salt and vinegar each being one quarter of a cup
- Allow the mixture to sit for one hour until it eventually turns clear
- Once the solution has been sitting for an hour pour it down the drain to clean it
Baking Soda and Tartar
Baking soda can be used alongside the cream of tartar for a safe and efficient way to clean out the drain:
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar should be mixed with two cups of baking soda
- Pour two cups of boiling water into the durian then follow it up with the mixture made before
- The solution should sit for one hour to work and then flushing the system out with water should finish the process
Baking Soda and Salt
Another quick and effective method to have the pipes cleaned is to mix up salt with baking soda:
- Using half a cup of baking soda and half a cup of salt is needed for this solution
- Pour these into the drain and allow it to sit inside the pipe for half an hour
- After the time has gone by rinse the drain by pouring boiling water into it and cleaning it
Rely on Expert Plumbers to Unblock and Clean Drains!
The Local Plumber offers fully qualified plumbers to the locals of Melbourne to help with cleaning and clearing out drains. Our Emergency Plumber team will use the best and most effective techniques to deal with any blockage and have it removed swiftly. We are also here to perform pipe cleaning work to ensure the drains are cleared and prevented from being blocked. Our services with drain cleaning and clearing are here for all of Melbourne, including South Melbourne and North Melbourne – contact us today!